Thursday 4 February 2016

DO YOU EVER DELETE BOOKS FROM YOUR TBR?

Having never-ending TBR is a part of being a bookworm. We want to read ALL THE BOOKS. But there are situations which simply require having this or that book deleted from your TBR list. I'm here to give you some "whens" to get rid of books and relieve your TBR of books.




1. NEGATIVE REVIEWS


There is this book that has been on your TBR for months prior to its release date, the book that you can't wait to get your hands on. Then something terrible happens - the influx of negative reviews from trusted reviewers. The blogger you religiously follow absolutely hated it and says it was a waste of the time. Your friend with similar reading tastes was extremely disappointed with it. All the things that are being said about it ring the warning bells in your head and this book doesn't sound appealing to you any more. What do you do? Delete it from your TBR list. It happened to me earlier this year after release of Passenger by Alexandra Bracken. Once I read reviews by Emily May and Megan @Reading Books Like a Boss, I knew that it wasn't for me. Now, Passenger is no longer part of my TBR list. 


2. SECOND THOUGHTS


Once in a while I browse my TBR list on Goodreads. Surprisingly, I always find one or two books that I don't remember adding at all. Did I add it because of hype? Or because of passionate review I stumbled upon? One thing is certain. If I don't remember ever reading blurb and if author and cover don't look familiar, such book has no place on my TBR list. Our TBR lists are crowded as they are. Why to burden it with books that obviously didn't make any lasting impression on us? Out with them!


3. BAD FIRST IMPRESSION


This is probably the most common reason why to delete books from your TBR list and definitely the reason for my own book deleting most of the time. The process is following. I read first book in series and I hate it or never even finish it. Of course I'm not going to continue with series and read sequel. Why to torture myself with more stuff that I will most probably not enjoy? Deleting sequels to the book I didn't like at all is always very easy decision to make. If you truly couldn't enjoy first book in series, if you had plenty of serious issues, if story in series starters annoyed you or made you uncomfortable you should do the same and get rid of sequels from your TBR list. There are so many other amazing books out there so why to waste time on something that is not your style? Because of very bad first impressions, I had no other choice but to delete from my TBR sequels to Red Queen, The Bronze Horseman and Captive in the Dark.


4. AUTHOR'S BEHAVIOR


Some of you probably won't agree with me but I believe in forsaking author's works if he/she disappoints me or offends me big time in whatever way. Unprofessional public behavior? Stupid or rude statements? Publicly backing up their "friend" by making apologies for criminal activities such as plagiarism (or others)? If author is guilty of one of these, I'm done with him/her. Some of you may ask if it is fair not to give book a chance "just" because author displeased me on personal level that has nothing to do with writing this or that book. And I say that isn't fair to go into the book with prejudices and negative feelings and to end up bashing it anyway (self-fulfilling prophecy). Plus once author disappoints me, I simply don't feel like supporting him/her and buying his/her books. Meaning - there is no place for books by such authors on my TBR list anymore. 


5. AUTHORS LOSING THEIR TOUCH


This is the saddest category. It is almost a tragedy when your favorite author changes genres or starts writing average novels that don't appeal to you at all. It happened to me when Karina Halle went from great romantic suspense (The Artists Trilogy) to dark erotica which is absolutely not my thing (Dirty Angels). Or when she used to write emotional novels with awesome plot (Experiment in Terror and Love in English) and now she focuses on contemporary romances with average plot/feels (Racing the Sun). Same goes for NA novels by Jennifer L. Armentrout. She went from original YA couples with chemistry to cheesy and cliché NA romances that I couldn't even finish (Be With Me). Losing faith in author's work is a very sad thing. But no matter what, we shouldn't burden ourselves with reading something that is not to our liking anymore, even though we used to be huge fans of author's previous works.

DO YOU EVER DELETE BOOKS FROM YOUR TBR?
WHAT MAKES YOU TO DELETE BOOKS FROM YOUR TBR?

Never Miss a Post:

Follow
author image

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing

Lucia is 29 years old passionate reader and reviewer who enjoys talking about all bookish things. Currently she lives in Prague, works in business industry and dreams of starting her own publishing company. Her weakness? She can never say no to cake, coffee or good novel.