Tuesday 10 November 2015

TWO QUICK REVIEWS: WELCOME TO THE CIRCUS

The other day I noticed that circus setting has become quite popular in contemporary romance genre. As a part of November edition of Two Quick Reviews feature I decided to pick two standalones set in a circus and compare them for you. Which one won me over?


(check my Rating System for detailed explanations of my quick rating)


Hearts of Fire by L.H. Cosway

Genre: Contemporary Romance 

Release date: March 9th 2015

       
          
The Circus Spektakulär is proud to present Jack McCabe: Fire-breather, knife-thrower, risk-taker.

My house burned down when I was just a boy, robbing me of both my parents. Now I breathe fire, eat the poison that almost killed me. Crowds come to see me night after night. Men for the spectacle, women for the thrill. I’m an oddity to be stared at and desired. With each flame I spit, I risk my life. I wear scars on my body that will never go away, but the scars inside my head are far more difficult to overlook. My brother doesn’t know me, and if I have it my way he never will.

Life was going exactly the way I’d planned until Lille came along. She wanted to run away with the circus, have an adventure, but this world was never meant for her. I try to keep her safe, because she doesn’t know the dangers that are out here on the road. She doesn’t know the monsters that lurk behind the bright lights of the ring. In truth, I could be considered one of them. We were fashioned from different cloths, never intended to mix. So I watch her. I try not to touch, even when her eyes invite me.

Join us in the Spiegeltent and let us give you a show. Allow my Lille to draw a picture for you in paint and sweat and skin. The truest love is always the hardest to let in.
 
THIS BOOK IS RECOMMENDED FOR MATURE READERS AUDIENCES ONLY. HOWEVER, THIS REVIEW ITSELF DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY INAPPROPRIATE MATERIAL.

MY THOUGHTS:


Colorful. Extraordinary. Adventurous. Those are first words that cross my mind when I think about this book. I loved circus setting, it was fascinating and mesmerizing.

Unfortunatelly, I could not accept Jack's (hero's) kink/obsession with fire and the way Lille (heroine) reacted to it. It was disturbing and left me very uncomfortable. As a result, I ended up completely disconnected with Jack & Lille as a couple. It is just my personal feeling, so do not be discouraged to read this otherwise beautifully written novel.




Amour Amour by Krista & Becca Ritchie

Genre: NA Contemporary Romance

Release date: December 12th 2014

          
              
Love is a circus

"Every day,” he says lowly, “I hold a person’s life in my hands. The circus is based one-hundred percent off trust. I give it all to someone, and they give it all to me.”

The best aerial technique won’t land 21-year-old Thora James her dream role in Amour—a sexy new acrobatic show on the Vegas strip. Thora knows she’s out of her element the second she meets Amour’s leading performer. Confident, charming and devilishly captivating, 26-year-old Nikolai Kotova lives up to his nickname as the “God of Russia.”

When Thora unknowingly walks into the crosshairs of Nikolai’s after-show, her audition process begins way too soon. Unprofessional. That’s what Nik calls their “non-existent” relationship. It’s not like Thora can avoid him. For one, they may be partners in the future—acrobatic partners, that is. But getting closer to Nik means diving deeper into sin city and into his dizzying world.

Thora wants to perform with him, but when someone like Nikolai attracts the spotlight wherever he goes—Thora fears that she’s destined to be just background to his spellbinding show.

This sexy and exhilarating New Adult Romance can best be described as Cirque du Soleil meets the steamy, athletic romance of Center Stage. 

MY THOUGHTS:



I thoroughly enjoyed this daring story about a girl who decides to follow her dreams no matter how impossible her quest may appear. Thora's determination, her courage to take risks, her ability to push her boundaries outside her comfort zone...it was all very inspiring. Add hero with the edge but also with sense of responsibility, manners and good heart and you have this fascinating story about circus acrobats.

Krista and Becca Ritchie proved once again how perfectly capable they are of writing captivating and thrilling NA novel and creating bookish couple that stays with me even after finishing the story. I dare you to read this book. It is impossible not to ship Thora and Nikolai or not to fall in love with their journey!

 

VERDICT?


It all comes back to the romance. I didn't really care about Lille & Jack while I shipped Thora & Nikolai like crazy. If you are in mood for good NA romance with circus setting, definitely go for Amour Amour!

DO YOU ENJOY NOVELS SET IN A CIRCUS?
HAVE YOU READ ANY OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED BOOKS?

Never Miss a Post:

Follow
author image

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing

Lucia is 29 years old passionate reader and reviewer who enjoys talking about all bookish things. Currently she lives in Prague, works in business industry and dreams of starting her own publishing company. Her weakness? She can never say no to cake, coffee or good novel.