Tuesday 14 October 2014

QUICK REVIEW: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Genre: Contemporary YA Fiction

Purchase: Amazon US / Amazon UK / B&N




Synopsis:

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

* 3.5 STARS * Review:

"That's the thing about the pain. It demands to be felt."
Bittersweet. Bitter. Sarcastic. Sad. Super sad. Entertaining. Nerdy. Emotional. Feelings-evoking. Depressive. I could go on and on describing this book, its characters and events. But I would never do it a proper justice. You have to read and see yourself.

I expected to be completely wowed, but I think I probably had too high expectations. Yet I liked the writing and realistic bitterness of events in this book. But I have to admit that some parts (dialogues) were over-the-top and seemed artificial and caused that I could not truly fall in love with this book.

Nonetheless, I absolutely understand why this book won Goodreads Choice Award in 2012 and I am more than glad that I finally found courage to read it even though I did not end up loving it.
"The world is not a wish-granting factory."


author image

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing

Lucia is 29 years old passionate reader and reviewer who enjoys talking about all bookish things. Currently she lives in Prague, works in business industry and dreams of starting her own publishing company. Her weakness? She can never say no to cake, coffee or good novel.