Thursday 17 July 2014

GUEST POST: Welcome Mary Elizabeth, author of Innocents

Innocents (Dusty #1) is my first published novel. I've participated in my fair
share of writing projects before I got serious about tale-telling as a career.
But there is a huge difference between writing for the hell of it and writing
something that a serious reader is going to purchase and hopefully review and
pass on to their family and friends.

There's a pressure I had no idea I would feel.


As a new author, I want this experience to be perfect. My hope is that everyone
likes me enough to read my work. It would be nice if readers, bloggers, agents,
publishers and everyone else in our business sees me as a true novelist.

I want my book to be great, and I've been more than willing to work hard...

But why didn't anyone tell me what a pain editing is?


Apparently, I have a habit of writing in a "passive voice." No joke, I drove my editor insane, even if she did sugar coat her annoyance.

She's sweet.

My co-writer and I knew Dusty was going to need work, but when we got the first
draft back and saw all of the red, I knew I wasn't writing fan fiction anymore!


Why didn't you tell me how expensive self-publishing a book is?

I've come to learn that everything in the publishing industry has a very hefty price
tag. My hope is that my investment is returned after the Innocents releases,
and while I did have a lot of people come forward and offer their services,
there were extra costs I didn't expect. Such as the fees for registering The
Elizabeths, LLC. in the state of California, postage (it adds up fast!), blog
tours, formatting, licensing rights, merchandise, and ISBN numbers.

I have a small fortune invested in Dusty. Just a reminder that writing a book
isn't only about the writing. There's a very tricky business side to it, too.


WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME I WOULD NEVER SLEEP AGAIN???
The book demands to be written.

Usually, because there's a deadline, and if you aren't done by your deadline, everything
and everyone else falls behind, too.

I learned this the hard way.


Why didn't you tell me to do this sooner?
Oh, yeah. You did.
My readers have told me for years to publish a book. I should have listened to you
all the first time you said it. Creating a piece of art for the world to have
has been one of my most fulfilling accomplishments.
It's not easy, and totally full of deadlines, arguments, expenses, late nights, and
a horrible passive voice, but it's worth all of the trouble.

I'm already looking forward to the next book.

post
signature




Mary Elizabeth:




 Writing stories about the skeletons hanging in your closets




Author Bio




Mary Elizabeth is an up and coming author who
finds words in chaos, writing stories about the skeletons hanging in your
closets. Known as The Realist, she is one half of The Elizabeths—a duo brave
enough to never hide the truth. Her anticipated co-written debut novel, Innocents (Dusty #1), will be released July 14, 2014. Inspired by the broken lyrics of a single song and the idea that
monsters have softer sides, “Dusty” was originally posted for free and had been
read over a million and a half times. Working day and night, she hopes that the
published edition will be just as loved. 


Mary was born and raised in Southern California.
She is a wife, mother of four beautiful children, and dog tamer to one
enthusiastic Pit Bull and a prissy Chihuahua. She’s a hairstylist by day but
contemporary fiction, new adult author by night. Mary can often be found finger
twirling her hair and chewing on a stick of licorice while writing and
rewriting a sentence over and over until it’s perfect. She discovered her
talent for tale-telling accidentally, but literature is in her chokehold. And
she’s not letting go until every story is told. 

“The heart is deceitful above all things and
beyond cure.”—Jeremiah 17:9


Links











author image

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing

Lucia is 29 years old passionate reader and reviewer who enjoys talking about all bookish things. Currently she lives in Prague, works in business industry and dreams of starting her own publishing company. Her weakness? She can never say no to cake, coffee or good novel.