Wednesday 16 October 2013

REVIEW: The First Last Kiss by Ali Harris


The First Last Kiss by Ali Harris

Genre: Contemporary Romance

3 STARS


Goodreads Blurb:

How do you hold on to a love that is slowly slipping away from you?
Can you let go of the past when you know what is in the future?
And how do you cope when you know that every kiss is a countdown to goodbye?

This is the story of a love affair, of Ryan and Molly and how they fell in love and were torn apart. The first time Molly kissed Ryan, she knew they'd be together forever. Six years and thousands of kisses later she's married to the man she loves. But today, when Ryan kisses her, Molly realises how many of them she wasted because the future holds something which neither of them could have ever predicted…

My Review:


My Molly and Ryan:


What happens when you meet The One when you are too young, when your dreams have not been fulfilled yet? You make mistakes. A big ones. And this is exactly what this story is about. Is Ryan the best thing that has ever happened to Molly? Is love strong enough to overcome unlike dreams and ideas about life? Or has destiny chosen completely different path for Molly?

"When you've been through what I have, gambled everything on love - and lost - you're never the same again. Not really."
The First Last Kiss is story about life and love, about dreams and reality, about mistakes and lessons, about growing up and learning through the way.

Readers know that something happened between Ryan and Molly. Was it good? Bad? Expected? Wanted? Sad? Author kept me guessing all the time. But unfortunatelly, I couldn't get into the story. I kept reading, hoping I would click with characters, but it never happend.

What was my problem with this book? Unusual formating of chapters. Main storyline was set in present, but heroine kept reliving and remembering her past.Out of chronological order. How can I feel compassion towards character when I am thrown into his/her turmoils without proper intro? In such a case, most of actions are misunderstood and I feel disconnected with character since there was no time for me to get to know him/her. I definitely prefer "slow burn" stories!

I can't deny that this is beautiful and sad story with important message for readers. Unfortunatelly, style of writing didn't work for me at all.

author image

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing

Lucia is 29 years old passionate reader and reviewer who enjoys talking about all bookish things. Currently she lives in Prague, works in business industry and dreams of starting her own publishing company. Her weakness? She can never say no to cake, coffee or good novel.